Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Grief

Four years ago today a dear friend of mine lost her mother. Not only her mother, but her best friend, and champion. It got me thinking about grief. I knew this incredible woman, and I was blessed to know her. She never crossed that fine line that comes between being a parent and a best friend. When you are young and single and raising a daughter on your own with no help, the temptation to take the easy way out is huge. I remember her funeral...the grief that was present at the death of a woman who was larger than life...a life that was full of grace and elegance. I remember thinking that day that if death could be a "tangible" thing, we would all handle it better. Because grief comes and goes in waves, it never fully disappears. And in my opinion, there is no "proper" way to deal. After losing a daughter, watching her body and soul detoriate, I learned that there is no better way to deal with death except head-on. Because if you don't tackle it first, it will sideline you. Peace be with my friend today...and over time, it will get easier. That is a promise I can make and keep. "Mom"~ I miss you. I miss how you cared about me and treated me with such love and attention. You cared about me because your daughter did. Some candles just can't stay lit.

1 comment:

LoveLladro said...

oh sweetie... thanks for this post! unfortunately we have the bond of death that unites us. I am so glad to know that my mom meant so much to you. I know she loved you dearly and would be so proud of you and your life! hugs from Hagerstown!